Home >> Basic Concepts >> Point to Remember
Point to Remember
- Mores is to the folk society what law is to the modern society.
- Maclver characterized caste as a closed status group.
- Durkheim pioneered the method of multivariate analysis in sociology.
- Bernstein distinguished two patterns of speech naming them elaborated and restricted codes.
- Boas hold that there is not the slightest scientific proof that race determines mentality but there is overwhelming evidence that mentality is influenced by traditional culture.
- Brown was associated with the concept of Interaction process analysis.
- Marx and Althusser put forward the materialistic variant of the evolutionary theory.
- Parsons argued that societies developed from organizational forms where relationship was based on status to those based upon contract.
- Brown gave the concepts of external and internal systems.
- Burgess classified societies according to their volume and density.
- Comte saw society as a social organism possessing a harmony of structure and function.
- Simon distinguished between three stages of mental activity- the conjectural, miconjectural and the positive.
- Durkheim for the first time used the concept of social structure in sociology.
- Promordial collectivities are another name given to ethnic group.
- Thurstone,Likert and Guttman were associated with sampling procedures.
- Lundberg codified cultural items into universal, alternatives and specialties.
- The term group dynamics refers to adjustive changes in small groups.
- To Robert Merton dysfunction is an activity that lessens the adoption or adjustment of the unit to its getting.
- To Durkheim altruistic type of suicide is characterized in modern societies.
- According to Durkheim the nature of solidarity of a society can be indicated by the nature of economy.
- Merton believed that a political ideology as communism could provide a functional alternative to religion.
- According to Malinowski elements of institutions included personnel, charter and norms.
- Brown held that functionalism represented a triple alliance between theory, method and practice.
- The tendency of the person to reject the culture of his own group is called lenocentrism.
- The orientation that emphasizes individual choice and decision-making in determining behaviour is called altruism.
- The phase psychic unity of mankind is associated with evolutionism.
- A totem acquired significance because of social acceptance.
- The superorganic view of culture has given by Darwin.
- Sociology is confined to the study of forms of social relationship in their abstract forms is held by Idealistic school.
- Thurston scale is type of attitude scale.
- Morphology refers to the objective, scientific study of society for the purpose of pure knowledge and theoretical advancement.
- Sumner has divided sociology into systematic and general sociology and historical sociology.
- Max Weber defined sociology as a branch of study attempting the interpretative understanding of social action.
- C.Wright Mills advocated the inverse deductive method in sociology.
- T.Stuart Chapin was a pioneer in measurement of attitude.
- The theory of relationship was propounded by Won Weise.