Home >> Industrial and Urban Society >> Features of urban society
Features of urban society
- The urban society is heterogeneous known for its diversity and complexity.
- It is dominated by secondary relations.
- Formal means of social control such as law, legislation, police, and court are needed in addition to the informal means for regulating the behavior of the people.
- The urban society is mobile and open. It provides more chances for social mobility. The status is achieved than ascribed.
- Occupations are more specialized. There is widespread division of labor and specialization opportunities for pursuing occupations are numerous.
- Family is said to be unstable. More than the family individual is given importance. Joint families are comparatively less in number.
- People are more class -conscious and progressive .They welcome changes. They are exposed to the modern developments in the fields of science and technology.
- Urban community is a complex multigroup society.
- The urban community replaced consensus by dissensus.The social organization is atomistic and illdefined.It is characterized by disorganization, mental illness and anomie.
- Mass education is widespread in the city increasing democratization of the organizations and institutions demand formal education.